About Me

My photo
This blog will chart the progress of my sisterlocks journey (installed 29.07.2007) and may include random social pics here and there. Please be patient with my blog as I usually bulk update 3 months behind althougth sometimes this can change (next updates will be made around Christmas / New Year) Thanks for the comments and visiting. Peace and Blessings x

Friday 17 April 2009

Hair Routine and Products

Routine and Products overview: I have not become the product junkie which I once was when I first went natural. My hair in 2009 has become more moisture thirsty, drier and prone to dandruff at the front.


Current routine (2009
)

In 2009 I decided to introduce a few products that worked well with my natural hair namely ORS Moisturizer, Herbal Essence Conditioner and eventually the Herbal Essence Shampoo. As my hair has stopped slipping I may also experiment with essential oils that I can use on hair and body– most likely coconut oil and lavendar oil.

I have not become the product junkie I once was and have stuck to select products that I feel work. I have not had to ACV (Apple Cidar Vinegar) rinse my hair since having sisterlocks so I am keen not to have to clarify my hair by sticking to as few products as possible to avoid any build-up.

1. Wash hair every 3 weeks with Neutrogena T-Gel Anti-Dandruff Shampoo for greasy hair - I find one wash is enough, as when I have done two washes my hair becomes too stiff and feels stripped of all moisture.
2. Condition hair on alternate washes with Herbal Essence Silk and Shine avoiding applying too much conditioner to the unlocked ends of my hair at the front.
3. Separate hair
4. Apply to the dry scalp Organic Route Stimulator Moisturizer mixed with a tiny bit of rosemary oil. I find the oil helps to seal in the ORS Moisturizer which usually is not enough to combat dryness.
5. Apply to dry hair length IC Fantasia Olive Oil Moisturizing serum by section hair and rubbing through - this product is a very light, doesn't require too much of it and has a pleasant smell.

6. Apply spritz mix of water and essential oils (currently extra virgin olive oil and rosemary oil). I occasionally replace the olive oil with jojoba oil.

7. Use spritz mix daily and top up on scalp moisture with ORS Olive Oil moisturizer on an as needed basis.

6. Apply spritz mix of water and essential oils (currently extra virgin olive oil and rosemary oil). I occasionally replace the olive oil with jojoba oil.

7. Use spritz mix daily and top up on scalp moisture with ORS Olive Oil moisturizer on an as needed basis.

8. Retighten every 3 weeks following washing hair and moisturizing it (not leaving it longer than 4 weeks). This has been quite hard for me to do as can be seen in my previous posts, but I intend to make more of an effort.




Old routine:

This was prior to my locks getting thicker and locking (edit deleted word: maturing - as I don't think my hair has matured yet).
1. Wash hair every 3 weeks with Neutrogena T-Gel Anti-Dandruff Shampoo for greasy hair
2. Separate hair
3. Apply Cocois to dry scalp
4. Spritz with water and rosemary oil
5. Retighten every 3 weeks following washing and moisturising hair
6. Use daily water and rosemary oil spritz to ends of hair and scalp if needed

1 comment:

Wildfire said...

GREAT! nice to see someone else also having success with over-the-counter products. I like you can't keep up with the recommended re-tightening schedule, but still going strong... not too much breakage so I'm enjoying my hair. My scalp condition is fine having been natural for the past 20 years (sisterlocks only 4 1/2 years now)