About Me

My photo
This blog will chart the progress of my sisterlocks journey (installed 29.07.2007) and may include random social pics here and there. Please be patient with my blog as I usually bulk update 3 months behind althougth sometimes this can change (next updates will be made around Christmas / New Year) Thanks for the comments and visiting. Peace and Blessings x

Saturday 8 March 2008

Still retightening

My goal is to make sure I am done by Wednesday 12th! Ok so I am slightly or should I say very bored of retightening but I know it is necessary as it’s now a week since washing my hair and nearly four weeks since my last retightening. The reason being is that I really do want to retighten my hair every 3 weeks and definitely not every 6 weeks which was when my consultant then would retighten my hair. I am keen to take as little time possible and regularly maintain the locks, even though I still like the 6 week regrowth look. I have completed around 6 rows of the back and am retightening on a row by row basis. I watched another Tyler Perry movie last night: Daddy’s Little Girls.

The need for the Nappylocs tool

I have heard of this tool and researched it since the beginning of 2008 by looking at blogs etc. I will be purchasing this tool at some point very soon and using it instead of the clip tool. The reason is that anything that saves my poor thumb from getting red and a dent in it after retightening with the clip tool is a good thing. Apart from less irritation the nappylocs tool is also a far quicker concept where I do not have to clip the metal bit onto each lock – which usually ends up snagging one of my hairs that are keen to lock.

I will let you guys know as soon as I have purchased and start using this tool.


These pics are of my face as I don't do very much of those shots and also the hair pulling was in memory to my first picture on here where I have just had my hair in sisterlocks.



The way I do my hair so far. I mainly took this pic as a guide for me so if it is a little detailed this description that is why! The elastic band at the top holds the hair I will not be attempting to touch. The white clip holds the hair that I will be retightening. The bigger clip on the left holds the the hair in the white clip in place. The small clip just below the white clip on the right holds the hair of that row to be retightened. The bigger clip holds that section of hair in place on the right. Lastly the hair that has been retightened at the bottom is held with a clip.


This represents a classic snag of hair that was caused when I pulled the hair through and the clip came loose taking a bit of an end away. It's very annoying as that had a little ball of a knot starting to lock.

4 comments:

Naturally Sophia said...

I did a post on tools to retighten your own hair. I highly recommend a latch hook. You can find it at any crafts store and it is easy to manipulate with no hair loss.

Lakia said...

Your locks are comming along great... I love the thickness and fullness of your hair. I have yet to venture into the DIY.

Maryee said...

Looking good!!! There's nothing like a fresh retightening!

CarmenNC said...

Your hair looks good and my hat goes off to you and other DIY ladies. As a SL trainee, I can do anyone's hair. But when it comes to my own locks, I'm so lazy about it. I do mine with my fingers. I'm trying to hold out on using other tools because I can see me in the future using those tools on my clients. But the other tools are so easy when it comes to DIY. What's a girl to do? Oh well, I can always keep the other tools in my jewelry box out of sight.